Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back to the Eighties?

Just a few "notes"  on the Lloyd children this week...

Nathanael participated in the Grand Concert at the junior high school.  He is in the Concert Singers.  This concert was Thursday and Friday night and the Symphonic Band and orchestra also participated.  It was a program to showcase the music programs at the school as well as raise money for these programs.  It was a good concert and I really enjoyed it.  Nat really enjoys singing in the choir as well.

Lindsay has been working on getting ready to apply for student council this last week.  I am so glad that she is confident enough to put herself out there!  I sure wasn't like her at that age!  Speaking of being her age, Friday was "Eighties Day" at the junior high.  Nat and Lindsay decided to dress up and it was scary!!!  I was about their age in the late Eighties and I remember thinking that our styles were so much better than the Seventies-if you can believe it!  I think back now to how UGLY those styles were and can't believe I thought they were so cute.  Travis helped Nat do his hair-although it was not long enough to cooperate very well.  Nat rolled up his pants at the bottom and told us that we must have been crazy because it felt so annoying!  I helped Lindsay with her hair and outfit.  She wore a t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up twice.  She wore a belt around the t-shirt and she also rolled up her jeans.  She also wore a denim jacket with the collar sticking up.  The best part was her hair.  I curled her bangs under and then "ratted" them a little so that they made that lovely "arch"  I then put "wings" on the sides just like I used to do with my hair-eeeeew!  When she walked out to go to school, Travis and I thought that we had stepped back in time!  How scary (Lindsay is always beautiful-but her style was frightening!)  I just cannot believe that my oldest kids are teenagers-weird!

Ethan played his last Jr. Jazz basketball game this morning for the season.  He spent a lot of time on the floor this game fighting for the ball!  He has decided that he loves basketball just about as much as he loves soccer.

Clarissa went to a "beach" party at the elementary school yesterday.  They were celebrating all the extra reading they had done in February.  She found a little friend and had a great time.  Travis was exhausted by the time it ended-he got to chase Zachary and keep track of Clarissa.  She ended up putting her pajamas over her swimming suit and I did not know until this morning when I told her to get dressed.  She basically slept in her swimsuit last night!

Zachary has been a real "grump" this week.  He has not been sleeping well and so I am not sleeping well. He also has been very clingy.  I think that I figured out what the problem is-he is cutting his two top teeth.  Ouch!  I have been trying to give him some pain medication and he seems to be doing better.  I am so grateful for modern medicine!

My "moment of joy"  this week came at the end of Nat's concert last night.  They sang a tribute to all of the armed forces and part of the piece was singing the songs from the different divisions of the military.  They asked that individuals stand when they sang the song for which they were a part.  I watched those people stand and I felt so grateful as we all clapped for them.  It brought tears to my eyes when one marine stood up behind me.  It made me miss my Grandpa McMillan.  I also felt so grateful that I live here.  I know that our country is far from perfect and we have a lot of problems-but I really am proud to be an American!

Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Ok those eighties outfits were RIGHT ON! I will admit that I used to peg my pants...it's true. Thank heavens those days are over. They're still good looking kids anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved to crimp my hair & wear neon EVERYTHING. Was that 80s or early 90s style? Either way, quite UGLY!

    ReplyDelete