Lots going on in the house of Lloyd...January was a full and busy month with lots of good things happening. Here are the noteworthy events from the happy new year 2018....
Nathanael and Lindsay Ann were able to stay with us for part of the Christmas vacation which included New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. New Year's Eve was a Sunday this year and so we went to church and that night, Nat and Lindsay came over as well as my parents. We played games and had snacks. It was really fun to be together and enjoy each other's company. We were able to ring in the new year with bagpipes, pots and pans, a guitar....It was awesome! Our tradition on the first day of the new year is to go sledding and then have hot chocolate or go see a movie as a family. It was not a difficult choice because we did not have snow this year. We decided to go see the popular Disney movie, "Coco". We first decided to go to lunch. I was in the mood for hamburgers and so we went to a family favorite restaurant but they were closed. So....we tried a new burger place out-Habits and it was delicious! We then rushed to the movie. I really did not know what to expect with this movie and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I love the theme of families and remembering our ancestors. I was also surprised to see Nathanael get emotional during the movie. The movie reminded me of our own heritage and how important traditions are in keeping our connections with each other strong. Nat and Lindsay then headed back up to school and got ready for the new semester.
Lindsay Kaye was transferred for the first time in her mission. She is now in a town called Chula Vista. It is very close to the Mexican border. She describes the area as beautiful and breathtaking. Lindsay Kaye is now in a trio companionship. One of her companions is a bit autistic. Lindsay will be perfect for showing love and compassion for her. Also, I am sure all three of them working together will be very successful. I know that it was hard to leave her first district as she has become close to those she works with-but she has a testimony that she is where she is supposed to be in this new area. One thing she noticed is that some of the elders in her district are not as obedient as they should be. She has expressed some frustration with one in particular. He made her so mad that she "roasted" him is (how she put it) . She told us that this week she is going to be doing a training on being obedient. I know that this will be a challenge for her- but I also know that she is really good at kindly helping people to do what they are supposed to do. I am so grateful for her example. Lindsay Kaye is honoring those that have gone before her in striving to be obedient in all things.
My oldest boy at home right now just turned 17!!! What??? Ethan is continuing to work really hard and is very busy. He still works at Little Caesar's Pizza to earn money for tour. He loves singing with the Chamber choir and has really enjoyed getting to know the other members of the group and making new friends. One highlight for him this month was the Chamber choir singing in the district's Masterworks concert. The chamber choirs from the district all learn and perform a major work. For example, Nathanael got to sing Faure's Requiem, Lindsay Kaye performed Rutter's Requiem, and Ethan sang Bach's, "Magnificat". I love to go to these concerts because I love how my children have the opportunity to learn amazing classical works. They learn to appreciate the work and the musicality of these great pieces. It also reminds me of when I was in high school because these are the pieces that we learned and performed at our concerts. One that really stands out was "The Chichester Psalms" in Hebrew. It was extremely difficult to learn but so satisfying and delightful to perform. As I mentioned, Ethan turned 17 in January. For his birthday, we had birthday crepes of course- and the went to Black Bear's Diner for dinner. Afterward, we came home and we had cheesecake (his favorite) and ice cream. Then he opened his presents. He did not ask for a lot this year- but I think he was pleased with his gifts. Ethan also got invited to the Girls Preference dance. He went with a really good friend. They did their day date on Friday night and then had dinner and went to the dance on Saturday night. He had a blast! He also went down to Mesquite to a soccer tournament with his friends. They had a tough group but they are such a neat group of young men. They always have a good time no matter the outcome of the games. One of the highlights was going to the St. George temple to do baptisms. Travis said it was such a powerful experience. I am so grateful for the good friends that Ethan has and the good influence that they have on one another. One goal Ethan had for 2018 is to learn to play the guitar. He has been practicing and watching videos etc. and he has learned two songs already! He has such a great voice that it is really fun to listen to him sing and play. It seems that he has inherited an aptitude of music from those who came before.
Our Miss Clarissa has been working really hard this month as well. She is in musical theater this semester and has been taking voice lessons to help her gain confidence in her voice and help it to become stronger. She practices every single day. It has made a huge difference. Clarissa had her voice teacher help her choose a song that would be the best for her to use for her audition. She sang, "My House", from Matilda. She was so excited and pleased to get the part of Babette in the musical "Beauty and the Beast". Clarissa's science project also went onto the District competition for the third year in a row! She was excited! I think it is because she has such a talent for presenting in front of people. Clarissa. She is honoring those who have gone before by working hard and doing her best even in adversity and disappointment.
So now we come to my baby, Zachary. He turned 8 years old this month. He had been counting down the days for a long time to his birthday. On his special day, we had our birthday crepes, and he took donuts to share for his treat at school. That night, we went to Zupa's for dinner and then he got to play in the bounce house at Classic Skating for a school kick off for a reading contest. We then came home and he opened presents. Once again, he did not ask for much- but he was very happy for what he got. That Saturday, we had invited his friends over for a Minions birthday party. We did minute to win it games as part of the boys (Minions) helping Gru steal the "best candy in the world!" by accomplishing certain tasks. Ethan wrote a little note describing the activity as if he were Gru. He was very clever and the boys had a great time! I was excited because I had to run errands before the party and everyone else at home got the house ready. It was wonderful! We got everything done in two hours. I guess we know what we are doing now that we have had a few birthday parties over the years:) One thing that stood out in my mind about the party was that after Zachary opened up his presents, he wanted a picture taken with each one of his guests with the gift that each gave him. Zachary was so happy! Because Zachary turned 8, he now is part of the cub scouts. He was able to go to his first pack meeting. He had a really good time with his friends. Zachary also had ancestor day at school. He chose his ancestor, William Lindsay, who was born in Scotland. William came to Utah with his family after joining the LDS church. He settled in Heber. He was an amazing example of strength, courage, and faith. Zachary brought a picture to show of him as well as the Lindsay kilt, and he also wore a child-size Lindsay kilt that Travis and I bought in England years ago. It took a bit for me to convince him that it was not a skirt and that it is cool to wear a kilt. He did a great job on his presentation and learned more about those who have gone before him.
I think my "moment of joy" was just after the movie, "Coco", ended. We were all very touched and I had such a feeling of gratitude for our family chain-all those who came before and my children continuing that chain. We had a wonderful conversation about the importance of knowing our family history and how important it is to continue that legacy that they left us. We can honor them by continuing to make right choices and keeping our covenants no matter what trials we face in life.








No comments:
Post a Comment