Sunday, September 2, 2012

School days, school days...

Wow!  I can't believe how fast the summer has gone.  School has begun and I cannot be in denial about it anymore!  August has brought a lot of fun things and kept us busy.

Nathanael finished Driver's Education class and finally completed his 40 hours of driving.  The next step is for him to take the road test and get his license.  I really have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that he is old enough to do that-or that I am old enough to have a son who is old enough to drive.  He just started his Junior year at Lone Peak high school where he is taking 4 AP classes.  So far, he has enjoyed his classes and seems to be doing well.  He is also playing club soccer with Dynamo as one of their goal keepers.  Needless to say, he has been very busy lately.  Nathanael is refereeing soccer to try to earn money to go on tour next spring with the choir.  Even though he is busy, it is good for him to learn to juggle work, jobs, etc. because that is life.


Lindsay just started ninth grade at Mountain Ridge Junior High.  She has a pretty full schedule so this year will be a little challenging but I am confident that she is up to the task.  One of her favorite classes is ASL.  She is learning American sign language and loving it. This is also the first year that she gets to take seminary.  She signed up in seminary to be a peer tutor for high functioning special needs kids.  The sister teaching the class had several people sign up to help but Lindsay's name was the first to "jump out" at her as she was praying about who to ask to help.  Lindsay has the perfect personality to show love and patience but she also has a strong testimony already and I think that this experience will add to her life in a positive way.  She also just earned and received her Young Womanhood Recognition Award.  We celebrate the boys earning their Eagles as we should.  I wanted to celebrate this accomplishment as well and so at the beginning of August we had an ice cream social at our house.  It was an enjoyable experience and I am so grateful for all those who came to support her and share their love.  Lindsay just started Irish dance and is picking up on the steps quickly.  She gets many compliments from her teacher and I am excited to see how this new adventure goes.  She also started voice lessons this summer and has already improved a lot.  As you can tell, she is also pretty busy but I am grateful that she is able to develop her talents.





Ethan started sixth grade at Deerfield Elementary.  He also started his soccer season.  He is the center defender and seems to be doing really well.  It is fun to watch him develop his talents as well.  Ethan is continuing to take piano lessons from me and is progressing right along.  He seems to have a "good ear" and "light touch".  I can't believe that this is his last year in elementary school.


Clarissa had a very special month.  She began third grade at Deerfield Elementary.  Her birthday was also the day before school started.  This was a very special birthday because she turned 8 years old.  I took her to the mall and she got her ears pierced.  She wanted to hold my hand and Lindsay's hand to help her be brave.  She said that all her nervousness about it was worth it!  After we got her ears pierced, we did some shopping and just had fun with just us girls.  We held her friend party at night and it was a theater theme.  We played charades a couple of times because they had to "act" like that character or animal.  Then we played "Poor Kitty" to see if they could keep a straight face.  Next we put on a little play and each girl had a part.  I wrote a "mad lib" story where the girls filled in the adjectives and then we acted the story out.  It was pretty funny and I think the girls had a good time.  I know Clarissa had a blast.  Then, Clarissa was able to be baptized.  It was a very special day for her.  She had a lot of family come and support her and we are so grateful for that.  One neat thing was that Nathanael, as a priest, was able to be one of the witnesses.  She told me that she felt so happy and so good inside.  After her baptism, the family came over for lunch and cake and ice cream.  Her little best friend also came to her baptism and then stayed at our house to play for a long time.  Clarissa had a wonderful time.  She also started Irish dance and seems to be doing well.  She says that it is fun and when I try to do what the girls have learned, Clarissa laughs at me and tells me that I look funny because I am a mom.  Thanks a lot!











Zachary is not going to school yet but he just started a special music class where we go once a week and sing songs, etc.  He was very shy that first time but I think he will warm up quickly and participate more as time goes on.  I really enjoyed spending that time with him and doing something just for him and not one of the other kids.  He was so sad when everyone went back to school.  After we dropped Ethan and Clarissa off, he told me to sit down on the grass and we could wait for them there.  He was disappointed when I took him back home and it was just the two of us.  Zac has a new favorite word.  He tells me sometimes that I am a "chicky" when he is teasing me or not happy that I am making him do something.  I have no idea where he got it!  His other big thing lately is his crush.  Yes, he has a crush on one of Lindsay's friends.  His face lights up when he sees her and he pretends to talk to her on the phone all the time.  It makes me laugh!  One other thing that made me laugh about him today was when he had Lindsay help him bless the food for dinner.  She told him to say , "Thank Thee that we could fast".  Instead he said, "Thank Thee that we get fat".  Of course we all started laughing!  He is quite a character.




Again, I have had a hard time picking one "moment of joy" so I will list a few.  The first one was when I saw a list of ideas that Nat had for young men's activities.  The first one on the list was serving at Deseret Industries.  Next, Ethan decided to sit next to a boy in his class that just moved into our ward so that he would know someone at school.  Finally, I had just given Zachary some lunch and then left to switch laundry when I heard him yelling.  I ran to see if he was all right and he said that we needed to pray.  Somehow, the lessons are sinking in a bit.  I am grateful for my children and the good examples that they each are to me.

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment