Wow! A lot of "noteworthy" things have happened the last two weeks in the Lloyd home....
Nathanael went on a trek with the youth of our stake. They just went up American Fork Canyon. He had to dress up like a pioneer and pull a handcart. He had a great time! He said that it was a good experience for him and that it helped him to appreciate his ancestors a little more. We all went as a family to pick him up. As the youth were coming down the hill with their handcarts, "Come, Come Ye Saints" was playing in the background. I could not stop the tears. To think that my ancestors sacrificed so much and left all that they had behind to come settle here was overwhelming and touching! I was so grateful that Nathanael got a little taste of what they had to do including dealing with a broken handcart. We were told that Nat did "great" and he came down the trail grinning. After we picked up Nathanael, we went to Midway to eat at a local restaurant-Scrappy's Timp Freeze. The food and shakes were sooo yummy! We decided that this is a new tradition when we pick up kids from trek.
Lindsay and the rest of us went to the Scottish Festival while Nat was gone. Lindsay is named after Travis' mother's family. Clan Lindsay happened to be there at the festival. We had several members of the family wearing the Lindsay plaid and so they were invited to join in lighting the torches and be part of the ceremony. Lindsay got a Clan Lindsay t-shirt and she was so proud to wear it! As I mentioned, Lindsay is named after Travis' mother's maiden name but her middle name is Kaye which is my mother's middle name. Lindsay is named after both her grandmas. Lindsay has a close relationship with both of them and has learned so much from each one!
Ethan also enjoyed going to the Scottish Festival. He was able to get a wooden sword and shield there. Ethan has an active imagination and really enjoys playing with his sword and shield. The shield has a Welsh dragon on it. Our last name Lloyd is Welsh. I learned that they have a red dragon on their flag when Travis and I went to Wales three years ago while he was touring with the Utah Chamber Artists.
Clarissa had her end of season dance concert. The dances were based on a book called "All Around the World". Watching the dances with the words on the screen behind them makes me want to get a copy of that book! Clarissa was a tomato for one dance and a little girl going to bed and snuggling her teddy bear for the other. She did a good job and had a lot of fun!
Zachary continues to learn so many things! He is at that age where it seems like he is doing something new every day! Lately, he loves to go outside! He gets all excited when we say, "Let's go!"
Well, there are some other things that we have done lately as a family. We went to the Reynolds family reunion in St. George. The first night we went to Tuacahn theater to see the production "Little Mermaid". Clarissa really got into it and thought that it was very exciting to watch. When Nat was younger, he went to a family reunion to San Antonio, Texas with his grandparents. At one point, he ended up watching the Disney version of "The Little Mermaid" twice in a row. I teased him the other day telling him that he must need to watch some version of "The Little Mermaid" during a family reunion!
The next day our family went to the St. George Tabernacle where President Lorenzo Snow gave his talk on tithing-it was really cool. Then we went to the St. George temple visitor center. The Spirit was very strong there and we watched a movie about the importance of families. By the end of the movie, Travis and I were very emotional. I am so grateful to have been married in the temple and that both of us have the same goals and are in this together! Later that night we went to the Fiesta Family Fun center and played miniature golf and rode the go-carts. Zachary especially enjoyed being his daddy's ball boy.
The next day we went to Zion's National Park which is truly amazing! When I was growing up, we went on the hikes to see the sights. Travis' family apparently drove to a sight, got out and took pictures, and then got back in the car. I did not even know that that was an option! Because we have Zachary, we took a shuttle to some of the places. I wanted to do a small hike but Zac got sunscreen in his eyes and Lindsay was grumpy (mostly due to the heat). Anyway, the family reunion was good and a fun little trip for us. It was fun to see my cousins and aunts and uncles that I have not seen for awhile.
Travis and I just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary. As I mentioned before, I am so grateful that we were married in the Salt Lake temple. It is hard to believe that it was that many years ago that we began our journey together! We sure have been through some ups and downs but we have both grown up together and learned from each other and have helped each other. I know that I am a better person because of him. I just can't believe that I have known him for half my life! Where did the time go? Back when we were first married we just wanted to be "settled". Well, we are certainly "settled" now. I've decided that I really need to enjoy this time with him and with our children.
My "moment of joy" came when Clarissa was crying because she was upset and Zachary gave her kisses and grinned at her trying to make her happy. He then stayed in their bedroom and played with her!
Cathy
No comments:
Post a Comment