Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sensational September

Yes.  I know.  This post is even later than last month, however, I am determined to accomplish my goal of posting once a month for this year.  So.  Better late than never.  Here are some "sensational" and "noteworthy" events from the month of September...

Nathanael celebrated his one year anniversary in Chile and a week later Chile celebrated their Independence Day.  Nat dressed up as a huaso (Chilean cowboy) for an Independence Day celebration in his area.  He looks "sensational" in the pictures!  That week Chile also experienced an earthquake that registered 8.5 on the richter scale.  Nathanael's area is closer to the Andes mountains and the areas that were most affected were near the coast.  His mission president had e-mailed us that night to let us know what had happened and assured us that he felt all the missionaries were safe and that he would e-mail us again in the morning after all the missionaries had been accounted for.  Sure enough, all were safe and well.  Nat said that he didn't realize that the earthquake was that big but that it lasted longer than most (earthquakes are a common experience in Chile).  He is very happy and seems to be enjoying his mission.








Lindsay was "sensational" in a couple of choir concerts this month.  She participated in a patriotic concert honoring those who lost their lives on September 11th.  Then, later in the month, she performed in the annual Disney concert to raise money to help with costs of going on tour.  Lindsay and one of her close friends performed, "Let's Get Together".  They sang, danced, and acted "sensationally".  It was fun to see Lindsay perform so well.  Their act really looked polished.  The only thing that she felt bad about was not being able to find her cap sleeve shirt that she wears under this dress.  She was still very modest and found a cardigan later to wear in the numbers at the end.  Lindsay Kaye also celebrated her 18th birthday -which was also her "golden birthday".  She had friends and grandparents over to celebrate and I am so grateful that she is my daughter.  She is kind, sensitive, intelligent, talented, and beautiful-inside and out.  Lindsay is truly "sensational".  She also went to the Sadie Hawkins dance and had a great time with her friends.  She is trying to work hard but also have a "sensational" Senior year.








Ethan has had a "sensational" start to his soccer season and is doing really well in school.  He is such a good example of hard work and giving his best even under trying circumstances.  Ethan helped run the concessions stand at a BYU game earlier in the month.  Travis is in charge and it was the night of the Sadie Hawkins dance. We desperately needed people to help.  BYU allows those that are 14 years and older work the stand.  He had just played a tough soccer game and quickly changed and came with Travis and I early. Travis and I had responsibilities that required that we be there early and stay late.  It was an extremely late game and sometime during the night, his pants ripped right in front-thankfully he was wearing an apron that covered the large hole :)  After the cleaning had been done and all the others had gone home, Ethan and I were waiting for Travis to settle.  It was 2:30 am and Ethan laid down next to me on a bench and fell asleep.  He never once complained even though he had every reason to!  He just laughed and said that he has a good story about falling asleep on a bench at the BYU stadium at 2:30 am with ripped pants.


Clarissa has been practicing a lot for the Irish dance Oirachtas coming in November.  I know that after all the practice and work that they have put in to perfecting the dance that they will be "sensational".  She is also working very hard in school and goes in for extra help when needed.  She is not afraid to be humble and ask what she needs to do to improve her assignments or tests that she feels she needs to redo. Clarissa is a "sensational" student.


Zachary is having a "sensational" time in Kindergarten.  He is excited to wake up and get ready for school and always has a huge grin when I go to pick him up.  I am grateful that he is having a positive learning experience.  He also has a little crush on a girl with long blonde hair and is very concerned with what he wears to school to impress her.  He wants to be "stylish".  One day, he told me that he wanted to wear a black shirt because I had told him that he looked good in black.  He picked out a black t-shirt and some dark jeans.  I put a black, blue, white, and gray plaid shirt around him and told him not to button it up.  He exclaimed, "Oh!  This is something Lindsay would do!"  The next day, he tried to put a button down church shirt over a jersey to be "stylish" and was very upset when I told him that it did not look good.  He insisted that it was a good style and we had a difficult time getting to school that morning.  Well, later he had Lindsay help him put some outfits together that looked good to impress this little girl.  What am I going to do?  He is only 5!!  He is also improving greatly in soccer and has been able to score a few goals this year.  Zac is having a "sensational" time with his team because they are his friends and he also has his dad coaching.


My "moment of joy" this month was when a woman in church leaned over to me after sacrament meeting and told me how much she enjoyed watching my children.  She could tell that they really loved each other by the way they treated each other.  I had not really thought about it before but my children get along really well.  They are not just siblings, but great friends and very close.  They cheer for each other and try to help each other when it is needed.    I feel that I have "sensational" kids and I am so very grateful for each one of them and the things that I have learned from each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment