Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 Wrap Up

I say this every time-and I mean it every time-where did the time go???  Wow!  The last few months have gone by so quickly!  Time to "wrap up" 2014 and start a new year.  As always, I need to do better about writing our noteworthy events.  I know.  I know.  I say that every year.

Well, here are the "noteworthy" events at the Lloyd home for the last few months....

Nathanael is serving his mission in Rancagua, Chile.  He was at the Mexico City CCM for six weeks to study and learn Spanish.  He arrived in Chile on September 9, 2014.  He did tell us that it was quite a culture shock and he had a difficult time understanding the people.  However, he is doing well and learning to adjust.  Every picture that Nathanael sends shows him with a huge grin on his face.  He looks very happy.  We were able to Skype with him on Christmas Day.  I knew that I would be emotional and had warned him in an e-mail to be ready for that.  However, I was not prepared for him to be emotional.  Nathanael is always so pragmatic and logical and conservative.  It was a big surprise to see tears running down his face as we spoke.  It was nice to see that his tender side has grown so much more as a missionary.  It was also bittersweet as this is the first Christmas that our family has changed forever.  We will have our traditions- but our family will grow and it will never be the same.  Although this is really what I want, for my children, to grow and live good lives, I am adjusting to the role of a mother of young adults while trying to be a mother of a young child.  Nathanael "wrapped up" his year serving the people of Chile.






Lindsay Kaye has grown so much as well.  She turned 17 in September.  She is turning into such an amazing and beautiful young woman.  Lindsay was invited to Homecoming at Lone Peak High School with a young man who is a good friend.  She was then invited to Homecoming at American Fork High School with another young man that she likes.  She had a good time at both dances.  In October, she participated in the Utah State Feis and competed very well.  She placed in almost every dance that she performed.  For Halloween, she decided to be a Goddess and we found a modest costume that she added her own silver sandels and jewelry and it worked out really well.  In November, we went to Phoenix, Arizona so that she could compete in the Western Regional Oireachtas in a group dance.  We drove down on Friday, she competed on Saturday, and then we drove back on Sunday.  It was kind of a crazy weekend but we were also able to visit Travis' father on Saturday night at the hospital in Prescott, Arizona.  Lindsay performed very well but their group did not place unfortunately.  It was a good experience regardless.  It was nice to get away as a family and just enjoy being with each other.  In December, Lindsay participated in the Madrigal Feaste with the A cappella choir.  She was a "wench" and served our table.  In order to have salt for your dinner, your wench or page needs to kiss the keepers of the salt on the cheek.  I made Lindsay go get me some salt and so she had to kiss a young man on the cheek.  Travis was not amused.  Lindsay "wrapped up" the year by hanging out with her family on New Year's Eve even though she had other offers.  It was fun to have her here with us because I know that she is growing up so fast and I am sure won't always be able to be with us on these holidays.
















Ethan "wrapped up" this last year being very busy!  In September and October, he played with his soccer team, Manchester United, that Travis coaches.  The team did well by coming in second in their division and moving up to another division.  Ethan is playing a new position this last season and he seems to really be excelling in it.  He enjoys soccer because he has been able to continue to play with his close friends.  They have a really good time together and Travis is such a great coach.  I always have so many parents thank me for supporting Travis in this because he is so good.  The reason that he is so good is because he does it for the boys.  He cares not just about them on the field, but off the field as well.  He recognizes that the boys have families with many other children and knows what the priorities should be.  Well, soccer is a great connection for Ethan and Travis and it has been fun to see Ethan really grow in his development.  Also in October, Ethan was William Wallace for Halloween.  He borrowed the Lindsay kilt and we got a wig and painted half his face blue to portray this man.  He looked amazing!  People did not recognize him at school.  The only problem was that the blue face paint caused him to have an allergic reaction.  He developed tiny little bumps that were itchy and then his cheek became a bit swollen.  We had to put cortisone cream on his face for several days afterward and then he also had to be on an antihistamine as well.  Weird.  In November, Ethan participated in the musical at Mountain Ridge Junior High.  He played a "brainiac" in "High School Musical-Junior".  We basically told him that he was Nathanael because Ethan was on an academic competition team just like Nat.  Ethan surprised us by his dancing.  He is a great dancer!  Also in November, Ethan played futsal with his soccer team.  He continues to get better and better.  He "wrapped up" this year in a futsal tournament.  He played hard and is always a good sport no matter the outcome of the game- win or lose.








Clarissa also competed in the Utah State Feis and did very well.  She placed in a couple of dances which is awesome because she has so many girls her age compete.  For Halloween, she was a character named Mabel from a Disney channel cartoon called "Gravity Falls".  We went to the Deseret Industries to make her costume and I felt like it turned out really well.  People who know the show knew who she was.  She even had a stuffed pig for her pet-  Mabel has a pet pig named Waddles.  Clarissa has been participating in a writer's workshop at school for 5th and 6th graders.  The teacher is a published writer whose children go to the same school.  Clarissa wants to be an author and so this is perfect for her!  Clarissa "wrapped up" the year by trying out for the school play-"Tom Sawyer".  She gets to play "Cousin Mary 1" and she cannot wait to start rehearsals!






Zachary has "wrapped up" his year by adding a few more gray hairs to my head!  First of all, he played soccer in September and October.  He is playing with his friends and Travis is his coach of course.  Zac was able to score a couple of goals this season and started to figure out how to anticipate where the ball was getting kicked and then stopping it and dribbling towards the goal.  Zachary was Puss n Boots for Halloween.  He would put his costume on all the time and pretend he was on an adventure.  He also got to play in his first Turkey Bowl with the family on Thanksgiving Day.  He told me that he scored a touchdown and was so excited.  Apparently, he really didn't but he really thought that he did and it doesn't really matter as long as he had fun.  Now for the him giving me new gray hairs.  Travis and I had been out all day and were tired so we locked our bedroom door to take a nap and not be disturbed.  All the kids were downstairs playing.  A little while later, Lindsay came upstairs and knocked on the door to tell us that she was taking Clarissa to McDonald's for dinner for "Sister Day".  A few minutes later, Zac came up and knocked on the door and asked where Clarissa was.  I explained that Lindsay had taken her to McDonald's for "Sister Day".  A bit later, Travis and I got up to decide what to eat for dinner.  Ethan came upstairs and was getting something for himself to eat as well.  There was a knock at the door.  Ethan opened it to two police officers who had Zachary with them.  Apparently, he had tried to walk to McDonald's by himself to meet his sisters and had made it to Hart's where someone noticed that he was alone and called the police.  I was mortified!  The police officer had to take my full name and birthdate and Travis' full name and birthdate.  She told us that it looked like an accident but that if it happened again, we might be charged for neglect.  Whaaat??  In my mind I was thinking, I know I am not a bad mother-I have a missionary who is doing well.  I know I can raise children!  Well, Zachary was really scared and has since been good about asking us when he wants to go somewhere like his friends house.  Well, the next story was when we had gone to East Canyon with Travis' family the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It was Sunday and we had gotten home from church.  Travis was taking a nap and I had just put chicken on to boil because it was my turn to cook dinner.  Apparently, Zac wanted a drink and so he climbed up on the counter where he hit his head on the light that knocked him off balance.  He then fell on the tile floor taking a Correlle dish with him that shattered.  I ran over to see him laying on the floor in a pool of blood around his head.  It was awful!!  We had never been to the emergency room with any of our children before and we didn't know where the nearest hospital was.  We put pressure on the wound and loaded him in the van.  When we got to Henefer, I was able to get cell reception and call 911.  The bleeding had stopped by that point and the dispatch told us to go to McKay Dee hospital.  I kept him awake on the way there.  By the time we got there, he did not have good color and he was lethargic.  They did a CT scan and he did not have a concussion  or any skull fractures or anything wrong.  What a blessing!  He did need 3 stitches in his temple.  The Correlle had cut his head when it shattered.  We felt so grateful that it was not worse. I think Zac thinks that he is big like his siblings but he just doesn't realize that he can't always do the things that his siblings can do.  Well, we also found out that he is allergic to cats, dogs, trees, etc. these last few months.  I had to take him to get tested and they had to give him about 30 shots in his arms after doing the grid on his back.  We were at the allergist's office for 2 hours and poor Zachary was miserable!  Zachary "wrapped up" this year being very lucky and hopefully he has learned to be a bit more cautious!








2014 has been a wonderful year overall with some big changes in our growing family.  One "moment of joy" was when I read Nathanael's weekly e-mail the Monday after Christmas and he seemed that he was doing well and the other children were downstairs laughing and playing a game together and I felt such satisfaction and gratitude for each of them and the wonderful people that they are growing up to be-I was filled with joy!




No comments:

Post a Comment