Nathanael took a "big step" in January and began filling out his mission papers to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He had to have a physical and go to the dentist. I first called the doctor to set up an appointment for a physical. They explained that he had one last year on February 20th and that our insurance would most likely not pay for another one within 365 days. However, the receptionist then said that I could call our insurance company and see if it is a calendar year or 365 days. I called and our insurance starts over at the new calendar year! Check. Next, I called the dentist office. Our dental insurance had a policy that will not pay for an examination before 6 months in between. I told the receptionist about our health insurance and she called our dental insurance company for me. She called me back and explained that it is 6 months to the day, however, there is a grace period of 21 days before the 6 month check-up. Wow! Check. We were able to accomplish both things and get his paperwork done. Now the waiting begins because he listed his date of availability Jul 1 and so the soonest that the information can be called to church headquarters is March 1. This is a "big step" for Nathanael and our family!
Lindsay had a couple of "big steps" in January. She finally got her driver's license! It seemed to take a while to get it and I was honestly kind of tired of driving her to her friend's houses all the time! Now she can drive herself! Another "big step" for Lindsay was that she attended her first formal school dance. It was Girl's Preference. She asked a friend that she felt very comfortable with to go with her. For their "day date", the group went sledding in Tibblefork Canyon. They went to someone's house afterward for hot chocolate. They they went home and got ready for the dance. Lindsay was stunning! We had rented a dress from someone who lives close by and Lindsay looked amazing! I know that I am bias because I am her mom-but she really was gorgeous :) The group all brought something for dinner and dessert. Basically, she just had to pay for the ticket to the dance. Lindsay had a really great time and I was please that she has the courage to take those "big steps" and ask the guys out on a date!
Ethan's "big step" in January was turning 13 years old! Yes, I have ANOTHER teenager! Ethan is now allowed to watch PG-13 movies and so Travis took him on his birthday to go see "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug". He absolutely loved it! Ethan's actual birthday was so busy that we had celebrate his birthday in parts. He had a late night with his friends, cake and ice cream with his grandparents, and on the actual day, we took him pizza to share with his friends at school. This is a "big step" to start a new phase of life! Hopefully, we will all get through these teenage years with minor bumps and bruises!
Clarissa took a "big step" by trying out for her school play and getting a speaking part! The play is only for fourth through sixth graders. She started rehearsals in January and just loves them! She comes home energized and grinning! She is having so much fun! She gets to be a minstrel with a speaking part. The minstrels are the narrators of the play and so she has a lot of lines. Clarissa keeps telling us that we are going to think that her character is funny. Can't wait to see her perform!
Zachary's big step in January was turning 4 years old! I can't believe my baby is no longer a toddler! He is turning into a little boy. He had his first friends birthday party. Can you guess what the theme was? Yes, of course-"Star Wars Legos". I just invite their primary class for this first party. We had about 11 little ones come and I felt like it went really well! We had them first "use the force" to keep the balloon in the air. Next, I made a matching memory game using "Star Wars Lego" stickers and cutting the "cards" into circles that matched the foam pieces that I was using so that it looked like a Lego. The kids then used a light-saber to destroy a "Star Wars Lego" pinata that I had spray painted and glued on foam circles to look light a Lego Death-star. Finally, Zac unwrapped presents and the kids had cupcakes with R2-D2 chocolate shaped molds on the top. Zachary seemed to have a blast!
Our January was full of "big steps". Once again, I am having a difficult time thinking of just "one moment of joy". I guess that I am just grateful for the great people that my children are turning into. Each one of them strives to do his/her best. As I look at the year ahead, there will be many more "big steps"! Here's to 2014!
Cathy



No comments:
Post a Comment