Sunday, April 21, 2013

March Madness

It has been a crazy month of March-almost to the point of driving me to "madness" (which my children would tell you that I am already there)!

Here are the latest "noteworthy" events at the Lloyd home...


Nathanael started the month in New York City on tour with the Lone Peak A Capella Choir.  Travis was able to go as well as a chaperone.  They both had an amazing time!  One of the highlights of the tour is that Nat was able to sing in Carnegie Hall.  It was obviously a "once in a lifetime" experience. 



















The next weekend after he got home from tour, Nathanael traveled to St. George to participate in the State Academic Decathlon.  He competed very well winning six medals.  He won a gold for Literature (his English teachers would be astonished), a silver in music, a bronze for science, a bronze for social science, and a bronze for art, and another silver for his team coming in second place for the large schools.  He was excited and we were thrilled that he did so well.




Earlier in the month, Lindsay participated in the Grand Concert at Mountain Ridge Jr. High.  The Jazz Band, orchestra, and Concert Singers put on a concert together.  At the end, they perform a piece as a tribute to each branch in the military.  The choir sings the anthem for each branch and those that serve(d) or have a loved one serving are asked to stand and be recognized when the choir sings about that branch.  I can't help but feel emotional and my heart swells within me as I think about my grandpa McMillan who was a marine in World War II.  I am truly grateful for this country and for those that sacrifice so much for us.







Towards the end of March, Lindsay performed in her first Irish Dance Recital.  The theme was Irish legends and mythical creatures.  Lindsay was a "Selkie" or a seal that goes ashore and turns into a beautiful woman that marries and has a family and then one day returns back to the sea.  She did a wonderful job and seemed to have a great time performing.








Ethan had a great time performing in the school play.  He was Tin Man 2 in the "Wizard of Oz".  The couple who does the play has each main part have multiple kids to play each character to give more kids a chance to have a speaking part.  Ethan was awesome!  He even did a great job when just before call time the second night, he was turning off the light switches in our basement.  They are right under a large speaker mounted on the wall.  I don't know exactly what happened, but he ran into the speaker and now has a nice scar.  It actually looks just like Harry Potter's scar.  Anyway, we gave him an ice pack and took him to the school to have his make-up done etc.  We were worried because he was dazed and kind of "spacy".  I decided to sit with him for the first little while to make sure he did not show signs of a concussion.  After a while, I felt like he was looking better and his color was back and the swelling had gone down so I went a watched the play for a while.  Then before intermission, I went back to check on him.  I asked him how he was doing and he said a little too enthusiastically, "I'm fine mom!  I'm great!  I'm awesome!  I am just fine!" and then he grinned really big.  I thought, "Yeah, right!"  I prayed that he would  be able to do his best.  He was on right after intermission.  Watching him that night you would have never known that anything had happened.  He was great!  We are grateful that the speaker did not fall on him and that his injury wasn't any worse than it was or could have been.











Clarissa also got to perform in her first Irish Dance Recital with Lindsay.  They are in the same class and each class had their own choreography and dance to be a different legend or mythilogical creature.  Therefore, Clarissa also got to be a "Selkie".  She also performed very well.  At first it was a little difficult to recognize her because she has to wear a hair piece that has been matched to fit her hair color.  I am not used to seeing Clarissa with so much hair!  However, after I spotted her, I realized that she was the most petite in her class and then it was easy to find her quickly.  It is obvious when watching her how much she loves to perform.










It is "crazy" how much Zachary is getting into "Star Wars".  He especially likes a character in the "Clone Wars".  It is a Clone trooper named "Rex".  He is already telling me that he wants to have a "Star Wars" birthday.  His birthday is not for another nine months!  I have said this before, but Travis must pass on a gene because all our boys love "Star Wars".






March also had a lot of fun for our family.  We went to East Canyon with Travis' family and celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  It is always fun to have a treasure hunt with all the cousins.  I think back to the very first treasure hunt I did with Nat on his first St. Patrick's Day.  My, how things have changed for good!  Over the years, our traditions have evolved and have gotten better!  The treasure hunt is fun and the food is delicious, but I am always reminded of how grateful I am for my Irish ancestors who accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ.





We also celebrated Easter at the end of the month.  We always enjoy the traditions of the Easter egg hunts and family meals.  I hope that our children will look back on these traditions with fondness and that these traditions will help all of us to stay close and keep our family strong.  At Easter, I am so grateful for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and hope that my children know it because of how I live my life even though I make so many mistakes.








My "moment of joy" was a little bit different this last month.  Nat had gone to Lone Peak soccer tryouts but had to miss the portion specifically for the Goal Keepers because he was on tour with the choir.  They told him that he could try out during practice when he got back.  He showed up to practice after he got back from tour and instead of getting to try out, the coaches were angry that the boys did not come early to help clear the snow off the field and so they made all the boys run the entire time.  The next time he showed up, they told him that they couldn't make a decision because the coaches and trainers who work with the Keepers were not there.  They told him to come back the next day, however, Nathanael explained that he would be in St. George for the Academic Decathlon for the rest of the week and then on Monday, he would be in Logan for the State Math Competition.  They seemed impressed and told him to come on Tuesday.  The following Tuesday, Nat showed up and played Keeper and practiced with the boys.  Travis saw him and said that he felt that Nathanael did a great job.  At the end of practice, the head coach was not there to make the final decision.  They called him and he told Nat that they already had picked the 4 Goalies for JV and Varsity.  They did not want 5 Keepers.  As you can imagine, Nat felt really bad but he handled it very well.  He could have been rude come home and lashed out at everyone-but he didn't.  He went down in his room and played his chanter.  Music soothes the soul-especially for Nat.  Of course, he was very disappointed and felt bad but he behaved very appropriately.  He was quite "sober" for a couple of days but he knew that he had done his best and that sometimes life just isn't fair and that we don't always get what we want.  Therefore, my "moment of joy" was watching him handle this disappointment well and not let it get him bitter or talk badly about those that made the decision.


Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment