Sunday, July 8, 2012

The End and the Beginning

It has been a while.  Yes, I know.  However, I have had good reasons as to why I have not written lately.  May is always a busy month and seemed to just fly by this year.  It was the end of the school year, soccer seasons, dance etc.  Because it was so busy, we have several "noteworthy" things to write about and remember.....

Nathanael ended his sophmore year at Lone Peak High School.  He participated in his last choir concert for the year.  He also played his last soccer game for the season.  Nathanael then had to look toward a new beginning.  He tried out for a new soccer club and was able to make the team.  He is once again playing goal keeper.






Lindsay just finished eigth grade at Mountain Ridge Jr. High.  She has been singing in a women's chorus and they had their final concert in May as well.  She also finished her soccer season and then decided that she was wanting to end her soccer playing and begin new things.  She is starting voice lessons and also going to be learning Irish Dance in the fall. 






Ethan just graduated from 5th grade.  He also finished his soccer season and then a new team was formed for next year.  Travis is still going to be his coach but Ethan decided that he wants to stay AA for a bit longer and that he is not ready for playing for a club at this point.  He still wants to play soccer at a competative level, but he wants to explore other talents and took a beginnings of theater camp the first week of summer.  He seemed to have a really good time.  He got to be a "disco king" at the end of their little play.  It was fun to watch and gave Nat some good driving hours taking Ethan back and forth. 






Clarissa just finished second grade.  She also played her last soccer game of the season and decided, like Lindsay, that she was done playing soccer.  During May, she also performed in her last dance concert with her current dance company.  They performed, "The Empty Pot" and Clarissa got to dance with a lantern.  Clarissa has decided to begin taking Irish Dance classes in the fall as well. 










Zachary was thrilled to have the school year end because he is now not the only one home with mom.  Zachary has begun to try to do everything on his own, even if he is not yet big enough (it sometimes drives me crazy).  At least he wants to be independent-isn't that what we want them to do?




It is always a little sad for me when another school year ends.  It's not that my kids are home for the summer-we all need a break from homework and the busyness but it just means that my kids are another year older and growing so very fast.  I am amazed at how fast the time seems to go and I wonder if I am teaching them all that they need to learn.  However, the summer is a new beginning of new experiences and fun memories. 




May is also a tender time for me.  This May marked the 4th anniversary of the loss of our little Michael.  We went and stuffed bears to donate to the hospital and also celebrated by going to dinner and the visiting the cemetary afterward.  I have to say that time has helped me to let my heart heal and I was able to reflect on that time in my life as a turning point that made me stronger.  That experience changed me and I became someone much better than the person that I was before in so many ways.  This time of year also allows me to reflect on how many people have truly blessed my life.  There were countless acts of service for me and my family during that time.  I have a deep love and appreciation for all those that helped us get through that difficult time even if it was "from a distance".  It gives me a chance to look back and see how others really helped me and now I am in a place that I can help others. 



I had several "moments of joy" but two that really stand out to me are as follows.  Lindsay had a project for school that she really needed help on and I did not have the skills to do it-but Nat did.  He was able to help her get it done and she thanked him by giving him a sweet hug and expressing her appreciation.   Nat seemed genuinely pleased.

The second "moment of joy" came on the last day of school.  I always walk home with the kids on that last day.  Clarissa was crying because she has loved her teacher this year and she was going to miss her.  Ethan gently put his arm around his sister and comforted her and let her know that it was okay to be sad.

Hopefully, these little experiences will be the beginning of a great summer where the kids get along!!

Cathy


2 comments:

  1. We love you Lloyds! Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks & sounds like you guys have a fun time being busy! I'm glad to catch up with you all.

    ReplyDelete