Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer sizzles

Just some "notes" on the kids this week...

Travis took Nathanael driving for the first time this week. He took him to the church parking lot to help him get used to the "feel" of the car. Travis took a little video of when he started and I was so impressed at how calm and positive Travis was with Nat. I can't believe that he is old enough to do this (maybe I just can't believe I am old enough to have a child starting to drive)!!

Lindsay is taking a sewing class this summer because it is a skill that I have never mastered and I would like my girls to do better in that area. Anyway, I had to sew Nat's Eagle rank patch on his uniform because he has been invited to a special Varsity High Adventure camp with another boy from our ward. I had not sewn the patch on yet because the bobbin fell out and for some reason I cannot put it in right. I read the directions, I have had people show me how to do it and I just cannot do it! I get so frustrated that I want to "speak in tongues"! Thankfully, Lindsay put the bobbin in with ease and has helped me put patches on Nat's uniform and mend a few little items. It seems that she will learn to sew much better than I-thank goodness!

Ethan has been playing a computer game called Zoo Tycoon. He has really enjoyed "taking care" of the animals and watching them and their progress. Ethan has always liked animals and even though it is just a game, it is fun for me to watch him get so excited about what they do!

Clarissa is beginning her first novel. Earlier this week she told me that her "hopes and dreams were shattered". What? She told me that all the stories that she had written were falling apart in the book baskets or lost and that she wanted to be an "arthor". I told her that she can still be an author if she wants and we talked about some ideas that might help her stories to last longer. She then decided to write a book and the interesting thing is that it has the voice of Junie B. Jones books. She loves those books and checks out at least 5 a week to read. I have caught her reading in the dark when she is supposed to be sleeping! Hmmmmm, I'm afraid I know exactly how she feels-wanting to stay up and find out what happens.

Zachary has been teething this week and so he has been lovely. We have not gotten a lot of sleep and it has been hard to get anything done because he hangs onto my legs! Thank goodness for pain medication! He has also become a "daddy's boy" watching Travis fix sprinklers and work on other projects.

My "moment of joy" came this week when we were watching fireworks with my parents. They were sitting behind me and I turned around to see if they could see all right and noticed that they were holding hands. I am so grateful for their examples!

No comments:

Post a Comment